Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bean Tree's Journal

Esperanza


March 5th, 1998--- Dear Diary

My life has been changed tremendously, because my daughter has been stolen from me. I don’t know what to feel, sad, shocked, or terrified, all I know is that the tears continue to flow until I find her. Life is not safe in Guatemala so we moved to America… Illegally. My life has forced me out and thrown me into a new world with no warning.

June 17th,1999---Dear Diary

The new world has left me struck with fear, though I cannot tell what my husband is feeling. White people surround me speaking fluent English. I am not only scared of the world, I am scared of being caught, taken away like my beloved daughter. A nice lady offered a home to us, until we can survive on our own, her name is Mattie. She is taking a huge risk just like my husband and myself being illegal immigrants, although I am grateful of having someone nice take us in but also I am intimidated by the fact that we could get taken away at any given moment.

June 20th,1999---Dear Diary

No one will ever find us Mattie has assured us. Everyone but my daughter, Iseme. A splitting image is Turtle, Mattie’s friend Taylor’s daughter. Pain strikes my heart when I see her, think of her, or hear her small innocent voice. The bad thing though is that I see her often against my own will so often that Taylor offered to me and Estevan to come help her. Of course I couldn’t say no and I went to help Taylor with her daughter that I envy to have.
July 2nd,1999---Dear Diary

Tears roll down my face as the child gets pulled away from me. My mind directly goes back to the memory of when Iseme was taken, but I know what I must do to support my friend. I must move on.




Taylor

June 5th ,1998 - - - Dear Journal

I am moving on to a new life. Heading west to start over, though not sure of what to do next I pulled into a bar. After I ate I went outside to find a baby in the front seat of my car. Emotions over flow me and questions race through my head. I have a life changing decision to make.

June 5th ,1999 - - - Dear Journal

I kept the abused child and made her my own, Turtle is her name. On top of raising a child I found someone I love. I am not a real emotional person but I love him, although I don’t think he loves me though, because he has a wife. Am I a bad person for falling for him??? Anyways his wife is now best friends with MY daughter part of me should be happy I don’t have to worry about me but I am mostly sad.

July 2nd,1999 - - - Dear Journal

Do you know that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that something’s gone wrong? That’s how I felt when social security told me Turtle was not mine and that I could be under suspicion of kidnapping her. Who would do something to a child that cruel? I guess enough to make them think that I could’ve kidnapped her. Now I am on a quest to save Turtle from sheer torture of a orphanage, now I am heading back to Oklahoma to save not only my daughter but my dear friends from Guatemala. Esperanza and Estevan could be taken away any minute now for coming to America with no hard copy proof of dangerous events in Guatemala to support them to be here. I love them both and even though they might not love me back I am going to succeed at helping them.

July 3rd,1999 - - - Dear Journal
Helping Esperanza and Esetvan was a piece of cake and in return they helped me keep Turtle. We went to a social service place to ask for permission to keep Turtle. Esperanza and Estevan were the guardians and I was the friend who was going to get her since they couldn’t afford to have her. Guess what… It worked now I have legal documents on Turtle she’s officially mine! Our plan worked perfectly and Esperanza started to cry either she’s a great actor or she truly loved Turtle. I vote B. It must’ve been hard for her to experience two children getting taken from her and she had no say or choice in either of them.

June 3rd,1999 - - - Dear Diary

Esperanza seems fine for what I will know of. I brought them to a church so they could get somewhere safe. Seeing them leave was truly difficult but thank God I still have Turtle, I hope. I am waiting for the final adoption papers right now and I am more nervous than a hog looking at a smoke house as mama would say. Talking about mama I called her. I patched things up and I am now happy for her marriage and she is happy from my daughter. We’re connected again. I am leaving tonight and am sure happy to see Lou-Ann and Dwayne Ray again. My decisions of my life have sure been good ones and I am happy about what I chose to do.



Mattie

June 6th,1999 - - - Dear Old Dusty Book

I am trying to keep it a secret. Having a ton of illegal immigrants living in your house though isn’t easy to be quiet about. On top of that there was this poor girl with a child at Jesus is the Lord Used Tires today and I just felt so bad, so I offered to give her a job to be nice but she probably thinks I am totally different. An old lady owning a tire shop and being awfully careful about what she says. What not to be afraid of, although I think we have a growing friendship.

June 20th,1999 - - - Dear Old Dusty Book

Our friendship is amazing. I found someone who won’t leave me to try to protect themselves like me immigrant friends. I can trust her and I think she knows she can trust me. The truth about her child, Turtle, is an incredible, inspiring story of abandonment. Also she seems to be friend with my illegal friends I guess you could say. I found the guts to tell her and she’s willing to help out at anytime, I think.

July 1st,1999 - - - Dear Old Dusty Book

I must really trust Taylor because now I sent her off with Esetvan and Esperanza to try to save them from being put in jail or worse. They’re headed to Okalahoma to do two things. Save them and save Taylor’s little one, Turtle. Many things could go wrong all I can do is hope and pray they’ll all be safe, because hope is about all I have left.

Lou Ann

June 5th --- Dear Diary

Today I have a new roommate. I guess this is a signal from above saying: MOVE ON! I just can’t forget my beloved husband though. I miss him dearly, though he doesn’t miss me and our new son. The signal from above is telling me to move on and let go.

June 10th --- Dear Diary

I am moving on and letting go as fast as possible. Taylor (my roommate) has open my eyes to the dangerous, exciting world around me. She has told me her whole life story in one night but can I open up to her? I just don’t know yet. Taylor and I are nothing alike, I am a total superstitious freak and she’s not, she’s willing to take risks, and I am not. Worrying must be something I am good at because I worry about my son, Dwayne Ray, all the time. In my dream an angle came down and informed me that Dwayne Ray will not live past year 2000. Taylor told me to chill but I am freaking out.

July 3rd --- Dear Diary

Again I am freaking out not just about Dwayne Ray but about my friends. Taylor took Turtle to find her birth parents while helping Estevan and Esperanza get to some church safely. Right now I need someone to comfort me, that’s when I met Cameron. Taylor and I have so much to talk about, things such as if Turtle was safe or not. Oh! There’s the telephone it might be Taylor. All I have to say is that Taylor opened up my eyes to the incredible world that surrounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment